My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Tuesday

Vaccinium mytillus - Superfruit

Vaccinium mytillus a Superfruit
Blueberry is not the same as the Swedish Blåbär but they are closely related. The wild Bilberry Vaccinium mytillus is the same as Blåbär and it is a low-growing shrub and the wild or cultivated Blueberry Vaccinium corymbosum is a much taller shrub. I took this picture in the woods near my summerhouse, do you know I read somewhere that there are 250 miljon kilos of wild blueberries, bilberries in the Swedish woods each year and only 7% är picked and the rest are left for food to the wild animals or just fall to the ground.

Bilberry, blåbär or blueberry, these close relatives are all very rich in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals they are real Superfruits or perhaps we shall call them Superberries.
We ought to eat a lot of them – they are good for the hole body/system but perhaps mostly for our sight/eyes. It says to the hold back the degenerative diseases of the retina, AMD (age- related macula degeneration) and to give you better night vision and we all need that.

As always the best thing is to eat them fresh and they are so delicious as they are but here are two recipes with blueberries/bilberries.

Blueberry pie

Blueberries/bilberries 6 – 8 dl (about 25 oz)
Sugar 1 dl (3,5 oz)
Flour 2 tablespoons

Roll the berries in sugar and flour blend well and put them in a pie dish

For the dough:
Butter 100gr (3,5 ounces)
Sugar ½ dl
Flour 2 dl (7 oz)

Melt the butter I a saucepan and stir in the sugar and flour. Cover the berries and bake in 200 degrees for 30 minutes. Picture from Systembolaget

The next recipe is a Blueberry Jam with Apples and Cinnamon

1 liter blueberries, 3 apples, 6 dl. sugar with pectin and a cinnamon stick. Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces, add a small amount of water and bring to boil together with the cinnamon stick, stir well and boil until soft, mash the apples and then add the blueberries, boil an additional 5 min. add sugar (after taste) and boil 1 minute. Leave the Jam to rest for a while and then pure them into clean jars. This jam doesn't contain any preservatives so keep it refrigerated.

Now I'm hungry after writing down those recipes....I think I have to get a snack, perhaps a Blueberry smoothie.....

Tyra

7 comments:

Willow said...

I love blueberries! My dearest friend here in my town owns a blueberry ranch (farm). We go out and pick blueberries and eat them often. Yumm! I shall try your blueberry pie.

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Världens bästa magmedicin, i Finland gör vi blåbärspirog på vetedeg.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Willow blueberry farm far out...do they have a website?
Hannele tell me more!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I love blueberries and am thinking of planting a few shrubs in my garden. That way I don't have to go into the woods to pick them. :-)

Unknown said...

I missed this post last week, Tyra...blueberries are one of my favourite fruits, whether highbush or lowbush. The lowbush types (V. angustifolium, V. uliginosum, etc ) are said by researchers to be higher in antioxidant values than the highbush types because there's more genetic variety. (I just fact-checked someone else's article for a magazine I work with.)
A company here in Nova Scotia makes pure blueberry juice. I don't care for it 'straight', but I mix it with water, and even with diet cola (you only need a third of a cup of it a day for its benefits). We have only frozen blueberries right now, but that pie looks so good, I'll have to try it out--soon as I can convert all those dls and ounces to cups!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear Tyra....

What wonderful pictures, it gladdens my heart to see such happy, enthusiastic and proud gardeners using limited resources and yet producing such terrific crops. Very well done I say! Marion
This comment is meant for the previous post.... for some reason, I was unable to leave a comment there.. so here goes....

Rose said...

Tyra, I was visiting your ABC post--in Swedish--when I luckily found the link here. Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits, and yes, oh so healthy! Unfortunately, they are not grown locally, so they are rather expensive in the supermarket. If I saw these growing in the wild, I would pick bucketfuls!