My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Tuesday

THIS IS PETER !

© This post This is Peter! was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog Tyra's Garden http://waxholm.blogspot.com/

This is Peter!

это царь Петр - This is Czar Peter. (Czaar Peter)



Tulipa greigii 'Czar Peter'. This gorgeous tulip is named after an emperor,

Young Peter - wikipedia

Пётр Алексеéевич Ромáнов, Peter I the Great, Pyotr Alexeyevich Romanov.

Born in 1672 in Moscow Pyotr was the son of to Alexis I of Russia and his second wife Nataliya Kyrillovna Naryshkina, within the walls of the Kremlin. Tsar Alexei died in 1676 and Peter just 10 year old becomes Tsar Peter.
Peter the Great carried out a policy of Westernization and expansion that transformed the Tsardom of Russia into the 3-billion acre Russian Empire, a major European power. He is cited as one of the greatest rulers in the 17th century, ranking alongside Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Empire and Louis XIV of France. (read more…Wikipedia)


Typical for these botanical tulips, Tulipa greigii are that the blooms are large, up to 12cm. The stems are fairly low compared to other varieties, often bright multi coloured blooms and the leaves are sometimes striped or spotted. What’s more is that the Tulipa greigii an early bloomer, they flower in early March – April and that I really appreciate. The bloom open widely in sunshine and look huge compared to its height and closes in shade or at nighttime.
'Cape Cod', 'Red Riding Hood', 'Toronto', 'Casa Grande', 'Chopin', 'Pinocchio', 'Rod Verlinden' and 'Czar Peter' are all examples of tulips of the specie Tulipa greigii.

Here we have Tulipa greigii 'Chopin' in the gravel!

more Tulips in the gravel and other tulip posts.


The species Tulipa greigii got its name from S.A.Greig.



The Tulipa greigii was discovered in Tashkent in (Uzbekistan) the region Turkestan by a German named P.L. Graeber. Described by the horticulturalist and botanist Eduard von Regel in 1877. He named it after S.A. Greig, a botanist in St. Petersburg, at that time the president of the Russian Imperial Horticultural Society.

Namnet Czar Peter från Tsar Peter den store av Ryssland, artnamnet Tulipa greigii fick blomman av Eduard von Regel som gav den namnet efter en botanist S.A Greig som arbetade för the Russian Imperial Horticultural Society i St. Petersburg. Blomman hittades ’först’ i Tashkent nuvarande Uzbekistan av en tysk vid namn P.L. Graeber.

Typiskt för dessa botaniska tulpaner, Tulipa greigii är att blomman är förhållandevis till skaftet stor (upp till 12cm), skaftet som är ganska kort jämfört med andra arter, ofta klara flera färgade blommor och bladen är ibland antingen randiga eller fläckiga. Vad mer är att Tulipa greigii blommar tidigt, början av mars - april och det uppskattar jag verkligen. De stora blommorna öppnar sig i full utsträckning i solsken och sluter sig i skugga och till kvällen. Tulipa greigii 'Czar Peter' tillhör Liliaceae familjen.


xoxo TYRA
Dear garden friends don't forget to write something.

Skriv en rad!
...
Updated. 2009-01-06

Helen, the patient gardener said in her comment - Are these tulips in flower in your garden now?! Surely not!

No, unfortunately not, nothing and I mean nothing grows in my garden now. It is completely covered with a few inches of snow and it is freeeezing cold. My poor greenhouse is like a big icebox and the only roses that I got there are the roses of ice on the glass of the windows. I have got a pretty picture of ice roses in this post from 2007
...

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

30 comments:

tina said...

Fascinating information Tyra.

Helen/patientgardener said...

Are these tulips in flower in your garden now?! Surely not! I do like Czar Peter - it looks nice and compact so wont get blown over like some of the tulips I have.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Love those Czar Peter tulips. We have strong bonds with Czar peter as he lived for several years in the Netherlands and learned how to built boats, among other things.

A very Blissful New Year to you and yours, Tyra!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Tina, PG and Yolanda thank you for your nice comments.

No PG nothing is growing in my garden now. It is freezing cold outside and we have had some snowfall today as well. I just picked out these pictures when I was daydreaming in my photo albums.

Yolanda I didn't know that Czar Peter had lived in the Netherlands, how fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

xoxo Tyra

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Spännande!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hej Hannele visst är det spännande med lite historia. Det finns så mycket kul att läsa om våra små blommor i trädgården./ Tyra

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyra, this is a tulip near and dear to my heart, for that outstanding foliage even before the flowers bloom. We have Oratorio, Toronto and Ramapo. They do bloom before the other tulips and have a better return rate too. It is the foliage that I am in love with though. Thanks for all the info on the great Peter! He had quite a fancy robe! :-)
Frances

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Frances, yes I do love the foliage too, it is pretty isn't it.
I love that photo of young Peter in his fancy robe. xoxo

Anonymous said...

how do you do, Peter? So cute. Love those little tulips that pop up among the pebbles. You allways have to watch your step around that area.

lots of love

Laila said...

Nydelige tulipaner særlig Peter, Hurra det er snart vår, men jeg har ikke satt en eneste løk. Har bare bodd her et år, har gjort mye men ville vente med løken til jeg ser hvordan hagen oppfører seg. (var ikke en eneste plante her når jeg begynte)Fint å få litt historie også.
Klem Laila

Kylee Baumle said...

I love Gregeii tulips! I've only got one though - 'Red Riding Hood'. I love their striped foliage and the fact that they grow closer to the ground.

What an interesting post this is, Tyra. Thank you for the information!

I really love 'Czar Peter'. The color is fabulous and I like the gravel setting, too.

joey said...

These tulips are friends in my garden (now sleeping under a blanket of snow) also, Tyra. I loved this informative and creative post. As always, nobody does it better ;)

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Veronica tack för trevligt sällskap i helgen. Visst är det en fin samling botaniska tulpaner vi har, jag undrar hur länge det tar tills de tittar opp.
Yolanda skriver att det är 73 dagar kvar till vår!

Hejsan Laila, så synd att du inte har fått ner några lökar i år då, jag fyndade en massa i sista minuten så det skall bli spännande.
Klem Tyra

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Kylee, ah so you got 'Red Riding Hood' I love to have some of those, they are so pretty.

Joey, thank you for you very nice comment. So you have a lot of snow too...well that is beautiful and nice, I mean it is winter and I really do prefer it to be a white and snowy then.

xoxo Tyra

Gunilla said...

Hej Tyra
Roligt att du vill följa min blogg.
Jag undrar när våren är beräknad att komma hit upp. 72 dagar alltså i början på april ? Jag vet inte om den hunnit hit då för snön ligger säkert kvar här.Det är klart ljuset och värmen kanske är sk.vårvärme.
Ha det gott
Gunilla

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hej Gunilla även fast våren dröjer så kommer snart ljuset och kanske lite dagsmeja och takdropp...det låter väl inte så dumt.

petoskystone said...

what beautiful leaves 'czar peter' has! a quick search reveals that 'red riding hood' is widely available, but no one seems to stock 'czar peter'!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Petoskystone, I think you have to look for 'him' in the autumn. I think the Dutch spell it Czaar Peter/ Tyra

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Tyra. It's always interesting to know about stories behind flowers/names. Those are great-looking blooms!

Meems said...

Beautiful tulips and very interesting information. We can't grow any kind of tulip here in my part of Florida but I sure do think they are pretty.
Meems

Commonweeder said...

I don't have any tulips in my garden, but you prove how our gardens can lead us down many paths beyond the strictly horticultural. Fascinating.

Gail said...

I don't have this delightful tulip...thinking I don't have enough sun to support them. But I think the foliage is outstanding and I love the inside markings. It goes on the list!
The list is soooo long.

gail

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hello dear Kanak and Happy New Year to you too. I'm glad you liked Peter.

Hi Meems sorry to here that you can't grow them in Florida, that is a pity, do you have them at your local florist?

Hi Pat Leuchtman and welcome to Tyra's Garden. I'm so glad that you find this post fascinating. Thank you.

Hi Gail, I know that list is endless.

LOLove Tyra

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tulip to look down on!
I remember learning about Peter The Great when I was at primary school - many,many years ago :-).
He was a larger than life character and made a great impression.

Penseldraget said...

hej
tack så jätte mycke för berömmet om mina skåp ....blev jätte glad.
nu ficka jag ju titta in till din underbara blogg....så vackert måste fortsätta kika runt.
kram pia

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hello EG, yes that is exactly what I think, this tulip is admired best from above, you should stand straight above it.

Hejsan Pia och välkommen till Tyra's Trädgård. Ja dina skåp och mycket annat också var jättefint.

xoxo Tyra

Meems said...

Tyra, it is too bad we can't grow them because they do resist our high humidity and quickly warming spring season. But yes, we can buy them at the local florist for a display in vases. I use them quite often for my Easter arrangements indoors. Not a bad substitute for not growing in the ground. Blessings for your day!
Meems

Linda said...

How interesting to read all about 'Peter'! I love these tulips, but didn't know about their history. I've also practised my Swedish by reading your Swedish text about them - I'm very slow, but I can just get there!

As for the naming of plants, I've just posted about 'Great Aunt Betty', as these particular plants are known in our house.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi again Meems, we have them in vases too. We start buying them about now and 'the tulip feast' goes on untill Easter and after that we have them in the gardens.

Hej Linda, tack för din kommentar, trevligt att höra av dej, kram Tyra - did you get that?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tulips Tyra! I love them as cut flowers but can't grow them here in my garden. Our winters just aren't cold enough for them.