My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Thursday

Desert Island - Plant Challenge. I would bring...

This post, 'Desert Island'..., was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog Tyra's Garden http://waxholm.blogspot.com/

Which three plants would you take with you? Shirls askes.

Hahaha, I brilliant 'escape' from a grey day in January, just this minute it is snowing outside my door. Brrr
What to bring? Hm, not an easy task but this is what I choose.


1. Plant number one, a fragrant rose. Beauty and fragrance in one. This is Stanwell Perpetual. This is what Paul Barden writes about this rose.
'Stanwell Perpetual' is the nicest of the Scots roses, in part because it blooms almost continuously. It forms a wide lax shrub of about 3 or 4 feet tall, and at least 5 feet wide. There is a very large first flush in the early summer, and a smattering of blooms for the rest of the season. Blooms are about 3" across, open flat, fully double, and have a very sweet, powerful fragrance. This is just an extract do read more here.


2. Plant number two, the Dahlia, for it's beauty and for it's ability to attract beautiful friends like butterflies, bees and bumlebees. The hard bit will be to choose with one of all the Dahlias.



3. For plant number tree I would choose to bring the Ipomoea ' Heavenly blue'. Besides being a simple yet elegant and beautiful flower, I can also watch a small 'miracle' appear in front of my eyes as the plant opens new flowers everyday. It is certainly heavenly.



All these flowers are my friends from my potager in Tyra's Garden and these are my plants which I would you choose to bring to a 'Desert Island'. (as the food were already there)

What would your choices be?

If you haven't already do add your name to the 'follow this blog' list at the top,
the list for my garden friend and readers.

Have a great day my friends/ LOLove Tyra

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

31 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great choices, Tyra, I've brought a rose too but a very different one from yours. And what would we do without the Dahlia and that very pretty Ipomoea?

My post is up too and I've decided to bring something extra to the island. ;-)

Ruben said...

Tyra, good choice, but just a little warning! The Dahlia would not only attract butterflies and bumblebees - but me as well. No paradise complete without the snake, you know! ;-) /Ruben

Unknown said...

Terrific choices, Tyra! Heavenly Blue is surely one of the most joyful flowers ever, and Stanwell Perpetual is such a lovely, hardy but graceful rose. And on a desert island, we could leave the dahlias in the ground.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Tyra .. what pretty choices you have made. I love white roses and yet at the moment I'm not growing any .. I have to remedy THAT ! .. The Daliah and Heavenly Blue Morning Glory are so pretty too !
I have to think about this one now .. everyone is making such great and different choices .. nice to see !

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyra, how fun this is! Your choices reflect a love of beauty and your sensual nature. Hmm, can we do some psycho analysis from people's choices? No, better not go there. LOL Someone else chose the morning glories, that is such a good one for that blue color and generous number of blooms, I had to have a rose also, thanks for telling us about that one. It may have to come live in my REAL garden! Dahlias, so grand, and like Jodi says, we wouldn't have to bother with digging them. A dream come true.
Frances

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Yolanda I love your 'little extra something' Grrr....nice.

Hahaha you are funny Ruben, jag gillar din verkligen din humor!
Men inga ormar! Vad blir dina val?

Hi Jodi yes good thing I didn't think about that!

Hi Joy it is funny isn't it? To see what everyone is bringing, exciting. Now I'll pop over to you and look at your choices.

Hi Frances, psycho analysis? Yes I'm sure you could get out quite a lot from all this information, interesting point.

xoxo Tyra

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Good choices Tyra. The blue of the morning glory reminds me of those blue blue skies above the island brought down to earth.

Anonymous said...

Lovely choices Tyra, particularly the rose. It would be interesting to see which Dahlia you actually brought with you - difficult decission!
K

Daphne Gould said...

Lovely choices. I've been finding lots of roses in the picks. Yours is just beautiful.

Gail said...

How and why people choose their plants is almost as delightful as their choices. Fragrance, good looks...so many of our choices are double and triple duty plants. I love your choices, btw, and now I want to plant Morning Glories!

gail

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Lisa, well said. Heavenly blue, they are a favourite even the name is gorgeous.


Hello Karen, hm...I cannot decide....


Hi Daphne the roses sure are favourites. I think every one has at least one ros in there garden.


Thank you girls for your kind comments/ Tyra

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... I immediately thought what plants would give me the most food. I'm thinkin' tomatoes, potatoes and then definitely lemon.
But then I saw that food plants were already available which made it more difficult. I think an iris, a hibiscus and like you that fragrant rose that reminds me of grandma.

Rumour or not - that you can have fun and smoke your number 3 plant? But you didn't add that in your pro's.

Til tomorrow then!

Veronique

Anonymous said...

I also chose Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue'. They are so beautiful and such a perfect blue. Lovely Rose, I like the open ones and the Dahlia will provide lots of rich colour. See you on the island.

Anonymous said...

Dahlias! Yes, what an excellent choice. I chose zinnias but could easily have decided as you did. The rose and the morning glory would certainly be wonderful as well. Thanks for sharing, Tyra!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Peaches, jag förstår, du tänkter på vattenpipan? Kan man röka den? Ses i morgon!

Hi Easygardener, great minds think alike ;-)


Hi Nan Ondra and welcome into my garden. Zinnia is a big favorite, I love it.

See you all ashore then/ Tyra

Michelle said...

Hi Tyra, What a beautiful rose, it sounds like something that might do well in my garden. I'm going to see if I can find one!

Shirley said...

Hi there Tyra :-) Sorry my ship was delayed ;-)

Nice to meet you and to see your selection – I just love that rose! I’m really not a rose person either but I like this type. Beautiful, excellent first choice! Ah… I forgot about the dahlia, very nice and I see the wonderful colour of heavenly blue again – I can see why this is so popular. Looking forward to a return visit to see more of your blog. Have a fun evening :-D

Helen/patientgardener said...

Great choices and the Ipomea and Dahlia will add to the tropical feel of our idyllic island

Anonymous said...

All wonderful choices Tyra! :) Isn't this fun seeing what other gardeners would choose for this challenge?

My Mother's Garden said...

Exquisite choices! This was so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful choices. Love them all but heavenly blue is just that!

VP said...

Oh no - how did I leave Dahlias out?! But that's OK I can admire yours instead :)

Glad you enjoyed ny food based one - I think we deserve a slap up meal after all our exertions, don't you?

Anonymous said...

ooooh, how could I have forgotten the beautiful dahlias? EXCELLENT choices Tyra!! I am a day late participating in this challenge but I just did. It is very fun. I had to take a rose with me too. That must be a universal favorite? Aren't you glad we really don't have to leave any of our other favorites behind?!!

Dawn said...

What a pretty list of choices! The rose would of been in my second group of choices.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Your choices are all so beautiful! It would be hard to choose just one Dahlia if they grow well for you. I've had bug battles with mine, but it was worth it to see the bumble bees fighting each other over it.

Anonymous said...

Love your choice of Heavenly Blue. You are the second person to pick this, and it is so pretty.

Jan
Always Growing

joey said...

Stunning colorful beauties, Tyra. I chose woodland plants so ... can I pitch my tent next to yours?

Wayne Stratz said...

great photos and the dahlia is a fine choice in my opinion. Have had some beauties the last two years.

Rose said...

Great choices, Tyra. The rose is a popular one for many of us. I think the island will be beautiful with all the roses, but that heavenly blue will love having lots of space to grow and grow...

Relyn Lawson said...

What incredibly beautiful images. You are so talented. Multi-talented, I should say. Blessings to you.

Anna said...

I am still catching up with all the desert island plants :) Some lovely choices Tyra. I must find out more about that beautiful rose.