My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Thursday

What happens when you don't eat your CABBAGE?

This post, 'What happens when you don't eat your cabbage? was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog Tyra's Garden http://waxholm.blogspot.com/
...
...well it blooms!
...



...
I found this in my fridge a few days ago, a bit embarrassing! I mean it must have been growing in the root vegetable box for several days…Still I’m amazed over it and I think it looks great. I have saved it and when I looked at it today in the greenhouse it has now started to change colour into a pale green. I will take I new picture tomorrow and show you.

I have been so busy planting tomatoes into bigger pots today and that sure is heavy work, the new pots are 12 litres/3,17 gallons pots and I have planted at least 15 of those today. Mixing my own soil etc.... but I'm not complaining, I'm loving every minute of it. My body is tender and I think I have to take a soothing bath to heal the soreness in my back and legs. If I'm weak tonight the tomatoes are the opposite, they are very happy and soon I can move them into the greenhouse. Can you imagine my veranda with + 50 tomatoes, chilies and gherkins etc? It is soooo crowded! My non gardening husband will arrive from a business trip late tonight and he is not going to be happy, but he's use to it :-)
...
...


The Greenhouse - April and the weather has been great for several weeks now!
The cabbage seedlings are coming on fine, these are the different cabbages what are going into my potager this year.


Brassica oleracea L. ' Bosworth' ( sprouts)
Brassica oleracea L. 'Georgia Southern' (collards)
Brassica oleraea v. capitata rubra 'Red Express'
Brassica oleracea var. acephala sabellica 'Pentland Brigs'
Brassica oleracea var. acephala sabellica 'Red Russian'
and at last the Brassica oleracea var. acephala sabellica ' Nero di Toscana'
and the 'N di T' is not at all tasty but I only grow because I think it is so beautiful.


It is beginning to get quite warm (ish) in the mornings now, consequently I can start to bring out my morning tea into the greenhouse and that is something I really enjoy. Life is good!

Here I'm attending some roses I bought the other day, bargains (of course) from my local store I just couldn't resist them :-) but the pots where much too small so they had to be repotted into larger pots, is that the correct word repotted?

Blooming Friday! This is my contribrutions to the Blooming Friday Flower Power Parade, meet more participant here at Katarina. Roses and Stuff.


Have a great weekend and enjoy the lovely days of spring!

...

Happy gardening/ Tyra


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

28 comments:

Niels Plougmann said...

I think this can happen to all of us busy gardeners Tyra! We are so busy with gardening during april that we forget to take inventory and worry much about things inside the house, when all the excitement and things we look forward to are outside. I hope you are enjoying the bright and sunny spring we are having! A nights rain giving 25 mm 3 days apart wouldn't be so bad now! I will have to water my garden soon if no rain falls soon - at least to get the fertilizer down. Hope you are doing well!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Niels is right, why worry about household chores when there is so much fun stuff to do outdoors.

Anonymous said...

Everything is looking so healthy. I guess your muscles are sore after all that lifting and repotting. I only planted 3 new rose bushes today and I can hardly walk now! It's been a long winter and I need to get back into shape!! Hope you have a great weekend.

joey said...

Oh, Happy Days, Tyra! At long last ... you must be in Heaven ... after rain & sleet, we are expecting temps in the low 80s over the weekend ... a shocking garden wake up for sure! Enjoy :)

Ruben said...

Men, Tyra, vad du varit duktig! Men visst ska det väl bli skönt när du kan använda verandan till sitt rätta ändamål, en plats att dricka punsch!! Tror din man skulle gilla det ;-). Ordet repotted låter bra i mina öron, men det är som sagt mina öron det, men det låter bekant. Ha det gott och förresten, punsch kan man ju också dricka annorstädes om nöden kräver detta! /Ruben

Vero said...

Bonjour mama! Looking good, vad skönt med morgonteet i växthuset. Ska bli kul att ni kommer imorgon :-D

Have a lovely friday!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hej Niels and thank you for comforting words, yes we certainly have busy times now. The weather is marvellous but I wouldn't say no to some rain either, during the night of course.

Have a great weekend Niels/ Tyra

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Keewee and yes why bother with the indoors at times like these.
I just don't want to go in at night :-)

Take Care / Tyra

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Do you know Mildred I have been going to the gym for quit some time now and done something they called 'Functional moves' designed to make every day work much more easy...and still I'm sore at night after a day in the garden.

Gail said...

Tyra, Does it count as a vegetables garden when vegetables grow like that? If so, I have one! Love the photo of you tending your roses...have a delicious weekend~~gail

sweetbay said...

Tyra your greenhouse is gorgeous. Looks like a wonderful place!

Michelle said...

Love that cabbage Tyra! How wonderful to be able to enjoy your tea in the greenhouse again. Interesting that you don't like the Nero di Toscana, it's one of my favorite kales.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katarina said...

Oj, så många frodiga småplantor du har fått fram, Tyra! Jag förstår att din potager kommer vara full av läckerheter snart...
Ha det skönt i solen i helen!
Katarina

Salix said...

Love that cabbage - shows you just how much energy is contained in a piece of cabbage!!
Your greenhouse/veranda look fabulous.

Anjas Hill said...

Så ljuvliga, inspirerande bilder du bjuder på Tyra från ditt vackra växthus.
Det är en fröjd att titta in hos dig - undrar om jag någonsin kan få göra det på riktigt;)?!

mvh, Anja

Chandramouli S said...

How exciting, Tyra. I see you were completely satisfied and what could be more delightful than tending to your plants? Nice shot of the cabbage!

Unknown said...

Love the cabbage shot and I must say that your greenhouse is beautiful! What a pleasure it must be to enjoy your tea! Love the photo of you with the roses too.

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Härligt ställe för morgonfika, kram.

Kathleen said...

I would love to have tea in your greenhouse Tyra. It would make such a lovely start to the day. I'm still waiting for it to warm up enough to take my morning coffee outdoors. Maybe a few more weeks?? The blooming cabbage is pretty. I think you should just say you left it in the fridge to experiment!! and like Gail, I think the photo of you tending your roses is great.

Hannu på Langeland said...

Kålen är ju underbar, det bästa jag har lyckats med är blommande kålrabbi i kylen!

Carver said...

I think that's fun that your cabbage bloomed. My garlic tends to sprout in the refrigerator before I use it.

Gunilla said...

Där skulle jag inte ha något emot att inta morgonfikat.

Ha en fortsatt fin dag
Gunilla

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Tyra, I would love to know which tomatoes you are growing. I don't even attempt cabbage because I grow dozens of blooms that attract the cabbage butterflies.
Marnie

easygardener said...

Your greenhouse looks a delightful place to relax in. I've only got 15 tomatoes to repot so I sympathise with you and your 50+. It is very tiring but also satisfying!

Glädjekällans Trädgårdsblogg said...

Vackert inrett växthus du har och massor med småplantor.
Bråda, roliga dagar ett tag nu innan allt kommit på plats.
Ha det gott
Birgitta

magiceye said...

happy gardening!!!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Dear Tyra.....

Oh! your cabbage flower is really funny, but pretty. Isn’t it amazing what happens to things left forgotten in the back of the fridge drawer.

Like you I have been busy sowing seeds and caring for the tender seedlings as they grow...... space is very precious in my greenhouse right now, not much of it left. Goodness, you grow so many tomatoes!

I am desperate to plant out my vegetables in the veggie plot, but not yet as we are still getting frost some mornings.

Happy gardening dear Tyra and I hope your back pain eases soon. Marion