My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Sunday

Flower of the month of May - Tulipa




Botanical Tulips vs. Hybrids




Tulips in bloom, what a joy!


Most of my tulips are botanical tulips I find them so very attractive, small and pretty, perhaps not as 'fancy' as the tall hybrid cultivars but they are just the way I like them. Another positive thing about the species tulips are that they are early, most of the hybridized are in bloom much later and then after they flowered I have to look at those dull sad looking leaves half the summer. 







Join the fun, visit more participants here





Botaniska tulpaner är verkligen mina favoriter, små, söta och framför allt tidiga. Varje år planterar jag fler för att jag tycker så mycket om dom. Tulipa greigii, Persian Pearl, Chopin och allt vad de heter. Jag tycker att rådjuren är inte lika heta på de botaniska tulpanerna som på hybriderna, vad tycker du? Har du märkt någon skillnad? 





TYRA



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tyra,
great pictures of the early flowering tulips. I prefer the botanical tulips as well. The long list of botanical tulips offers a wide variety to choose from.
To protect my tulips from Squirrels I cover the area with chicken wire and hopr for the best:).

Kram Gisela.

haspet said...

Så ljuvliga bilder. Får aldrig nog av dina vackra collage. Tycker mycket om botaniska tulpaner men har tyvärr inga själv (ännu...). Ha det gott.// Peter

DeniseinVA said...

A fantastic variety of tulips! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Petit Eyekiss said...

vilka fina mosaikbilder. Brukar sätta botaniska tulpaner på föräldragraven, och dom tulpanerna brukar få stå kvar!

sweetbay said...

Gorgeous mosaics! I love the tulips labelled Heart's Delight and the slender fushcia buds in the last photo.

Mimi said...

Botaniska tulpaner är verkligen supervackra. De ger liksom ett naturligare intryck, och ändå är jag nog också stormförtjust i vanliga tulpaner. Jag har i år första gången rådjur i trädgården, men de har ännu inte hittat annat än magnoliorna, kanske sådana där riktiga skogsrådjur ännu inte lärt sig att perenner också är ätliga. Hälsn Mimi

Regina said...

All are gorgeous Tyra. Love the pink tulip.

Regards.

*Ulrike* said...

Our tulips are long gone, and I love them so. I really like the one that is white/cream color with the orange/black in the middle. The botanical ones are so pretty!

Amanda at 32˙North said...

Hi Tyra,

They're lovely! I get a lot of satisfaction from bulbs, too. Not much luck with tulips, but we had a banner year for Dutch irises.

Amanda

Trädgårdsflow/Garden Flow said...

Hej Tyra!

Tack för titten hos mig! Oj, vad bloggar du har. Visste ärligt talat inte vilken av dem jag skulle gå in och lämna en kommentar på... :-) Hur hinner du?

Galen...jag? :-) Har alltid trott att det är normalt att backa in i växthuset, hålla in magen när man ska röra sig mellan borden, hoppa över krukor för att komma åt att vattna..... :-) Är kanske lite nördig när det gäller att dra upp mycket från frö.... Men det är ju så vansinnigt kul - eller hur!

De små botaniska tulpanerna är riktiga juveler!

Ha' det bra!
/Charlotte

Carver said...

Your tulips are all so beautiful. I like the mosaics so much and the last shot with the tulips with rain drops is fantastic.

Unknown said...

Ciao bella! Hmmm I think I have three daffodils and a hell of a lot of dandelions :) ...can't compete with Mousch!? Kram kram!

Katarina said...

Jag håller andan varje morgon och hoppas på att rådjuren inte har varit här. Ännu så länge har mina tulpaner klarat sig. Peppar, peppar...

Naturegirl said...

Tyra it is always a pleasure to stop by your blog and see what's blooming in your garden! Soon you'll have to do a mosaic of your gorgeous greenhouse! I'm sure you are enjoying the view as you sit inside sipping your tea!
Have a wonderful week gardening. Here we have had a cold snap...very chilly mornings and afternoons!

Daniela said...

Jätte fina foton, älskar det sista med dom lila tulpanerna :)

Lynell said...

Found your blog through the Inadvertent Farmer tonight and am enjoying looking through all your gardening pictures, projects, etc. I was especially excited because I have a real fondness for Sweden, as we lived there for two years on an expat assignment with my husband's company (2001-2003). He gets to go back and visit often (he leaves Friday again), but not me. Anyhow, I look forward to coming back to visit your blog.

Lynell

joey said...

So lovely, Tyra ... mine are almost gone :(

Window On The Prairie said...

Here is Kansas, USA, the tulips have passed. They bloomed several weeks ago. I did a post about them then. Come take a look:
http://windowontheprairie.com/2010/04/12/tulip-time/

Shirley said...

Hi there Tyra! My eyes have been really opened to the tulip in this past week. I never considered there were two main groups. Thanks for this.

Lovely montages… I see that I have a few Botanical ones myself. I guess I’m a fan of the Hybrids with so many fantastic shapes of flowers. Persian pearl is a stunner. Just to say that I’ve added this post to a bit of a tulip photo fest I’ve been running all week. You can see it here. If you’ve any more tulip pics you’d like to share :-D

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Thank you for the invitation Shirl!

:-)

xoxo

Tankar från Trädgårdsmästarn; Hillevi said...

Jo, jag tycker det stämmer att rådjuren inte äter de vilda...

Sunita Mohan said...

Tyra, these tulips are so very pretty. Can you believe that I've never seen real tulips till date? What a loss! They do grow in our northern states but since I've never been there at the right time, I've always missed out :(

mach3 said...

beautiful!