My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Friday

What plant is called Snow-in-the-mountain?

This post Snow-in- the-mountain was originally uploaded by Tyra Hallsénius Lindhe in the blog Tyra's Garden

First I would like to ask you for some help with two things.

1. Vasi from Romania has a problem to enter The greenhouse...I cannot find any problem from here, I can see it perfectly. Could you please check that from me. I can you get in?

2. The other thing is just a question. Do you know that a potager is? You do not have to explain it, just a simple yes/no is OK.

Update 2010-11- 28 I guess the greenhouse works just fine after all, but if you have a certain virus software (Avast) you get a alert note.


 ~ ~ ~
 Snow-in-the-mountain.

I think it is rarely used but...what a lovely and poetic name for this beautiful plant.


This plant has many other names:

Aegopodium podagraria, Bishop's weed, Ground elder, Herb gerard, Goutweed and it is commonly called Kirskål in my native tongue.


Love or Hate, what do you feel about it?


The Snow-in-the-mountain is one of the most loathed weed we have in our gardens. In some places regarded as an ecological threat.  Still I think it is very beautiful and often use it in summer bouquets and remember it is edible. The Ground elder can be added to salads or cooked like spinach.





Phytomedicine

For medical use: The leaves and the stems are used.
 
- Ground elder is an anti-inflammatory herb with mildly sedative properties, it has a long tradition as a treatment for gout, sciatica and rheumatism. It can be taken internally as an infusion, and is applied externally for sting and burns. allaboutherbs



This week’s theme in Blooming Friday is - A touch of White. Go to Katarina’s place Roses and stuff and find out what more "A  touch of White" stuff that is are out there.


Don't be a stranger my friend - Do write something!

I myself have a love-hate relation to this plant. How about you?




References: Aegopodium podagraria at wikipedia and allaboutherbs

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

29 comments:

lisa said...

Fråga 1, ja jag kommer in, fråga två, Ja.
Tänk vilket fantastiskt namn på Kers som vi säger här (uttalas tjerrs).
Hädanefter får det bli Snöibergen.
Hatkärlek, ja. Funderar på om den ska få vara kvar där min skogsträdgård ska ligga...alla avråder. Men den är ju användbar.
Lisa/Lisas trädgård

Vasi Dubreu said...

help!
Trialeurodes vaporariorum
Vet recept för att döda henne bio
(ha,ha,ha)
ok I wrote in Swedish?

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

I don't get i Vasi. You write about the greenhouse whitefly?Trialeurodes vaporariorum. Are you asking for help to kill it?

;-) Tyra

Thy said...

Jag kommer in utan problem och ja, jag vet vad en potager är.
När jag kom till Kanada blev jag väldigt förvånad över att se att kirskål användes som prydnadsväxt. Folk planterade helt frivilligt en variegerad variant i rabatterna. Och det kan faktiskt vara rätt så snyggt. Det gäller väl bara att aldrig ångra sig och vilja ha något annat istället.

Thy said...

Äh jag tror att min ursprungliga kommentar försvann!

But I yes to both the questions. I get into the page no problems and I know what a potager is.

When I first came to Canada I was surprised to see that Goutweed was deliberately planted in flower beds. I variegated and actually very pretty variety, but still! This almost unkillable, super weed!

Ruben said...

Näst "Kiss me over the Gate" är väl det här plantnamnet bland de konstigaste?!! Men, när man tänker efter; Törnrosas kjortel tillhör ju faktiskt samma kategori!!! Väldigt vacker är den, men man ska nog akta sig för att blanda in den i sin potager!!! ;.)
Trevlig advent!
/Ruben

Cecilia Artista said...

1 Jag fick virusvarning + meddelande om att det kan vara en skadlig fil när jag gick in på The greenhouse!!

2 Yes

Kirskålen har mycket vackra blommor, liknande hundkäx. Men ack vilket besvär om man får in den i rabatter. Svår att få bort!

Ha en skön helg!

Anonymous said...

Looking at the blooms I can't imagine that this is a weed! Your pictures are lovely as usual. Checked out your link and my, your greenhouse is looking even more beautiful.

Happy weekend!

Mia said...

Love or hate? Jag tycker om dina bilder, den är då fin, men jag vill inte ha den i trädgården!

Sophia Callmer said...

Kirskål är bra i lagom doser och som du skriver gott att äta. ha en fin adventshelg!

Allers Trädgård said...

Kirskål som snittblomma är super! Och jag tycker den är fin - kanskeför att jag bara har begränsad mängd hos mej. Den veriegerade sorten har jag sett en del som till och med planterat in!
Hej hej
/Ann Marie

Glädjekällans Trädgårdsblogg said...

Svar på frågorna är Ja Ja
Kirskålsblommor, gärna i pionbuketten, gillar jag. De har något extra skirt över sig.Jag vill inte ha den i grönsakslandet.
Trevlig helg
Birgitta

easygardener said...

Link works for me and I know what a potager is but I would guess that many people may not - certainly it is not an everyday word over here.
We have Ground Elder at the edge of our vegetable garden - a continuous threat!
Have a good weekend.

NatureFootstep said...

dom där är ju "sommar" eller?
Jag kommer in till den andra bloggen. :)

Anette said...

Kirskålen hade jag nog med i förra trädgården. Här finns den i ytterkanterna, hoppas den stannar där...
/Anette

Vasi Dubreu said...

Yes,I have a big problem with this whitefly in greenhous.I do not use chemicals solution.If you know another solution,please,tell me.
Avast is my antivirus soft,who don't let me open your greenhous.But I use another computer.
It's OK.

Monica said...

Visst kommer jag in till ditt växthus.
Har ingen aning om vad potager är????
Blommande Kirskål är faktiskt fin ...
Tjingeling

AnnCharlotte said...

Visst är den vacker men jag tar hand om en trädgård där den fått husera fritt under några år vilket innebär att den finns nästan överallt...och det vill jag inte ;))
Snow in the mountain är ett vackert namn iallafall....
Ha en skön helg ;)

a quiet life said...

#1, i have a hard time with your page opening, it slows down my computer, i have to wait over a minute each time...

#2 potager is not the common term in california, as an avid gardener for decades i only know it because of traveling to european gardens.

bishops weed is lovely for cool shady areas in our climate, snow on the moutain here is commonly euphorbia marginata, both lovely addtions to the garden.

Randi said...

Kirskålen är ett hatobjekt i mitt jordgubbsland! Jag hade inga problem att öppna The Greenhouse.
Tänk att har bott här nere och lämnat det..."ler".
Önskar dig en riktig skön helg. Här har vi haft klass I varning i natt. Ska nu ut och pulsa i drivor av snö och kolla hur det ser ut på gården...
Önskar dig en riktigt skön helg!

Lena/isklockan said...

Ha ha ...fattade inte att det var kirskål först...Snygg på bild iallafall men tråkig i min hallonhäck :-(( Kram

Carol said...

YES to both number 1 & 2 questions Tyra!

I must say that I HATE HATE HATE ;>)) with a smile on my face . . . Bishops Weed. I have always assumed it was used to treat gout as it other names alludes.
It has simply taken over my gardens, so that I cannot grow anything less that a foot in height and plants must be very vigorous to fight the invasive Goutweed. I have lost hundreds and hundreds of plants to it. Then I began planting shrubs! HA!
It lived happily here when I moved in and still to this day thirty years later thrives and seems to move into any new border I create.
Your post is great in that it inspires me to try to learn more about the medicinal properties. Yes, I do even use the flowers in bouquets for they are very like Queen Anne's Lace . . . though not as lovely.

Have a happy weekend.

Gela said...

ÅÅÅ vad intressant inlägg. Svar på dina frågor ja på båda. Önskar dig en fin kväll/Gela

Rose Garden Malevik said...

hmmmm,,,,kirskål e väl sådär :)

SATURDAY SHOW OFF

Välkommen att vara med :)

Håkan

tina said...

Hi Tyra, When I went to your greenhouse link a alert box came up and said "Malware present-threat detected." I quickly got out of there. On the Bishops weed, I wish I'd never planted it, but since it is here it is okay for just a few months then it gets looking ragged. Don't like it overall.

Katarina said...

Svar: ja, ja.

Gillar inte att ha den i min trädgård, men man allt måste beundrar växtens överlevnadsförmåga.

Unknown said...

they looks tiny stars very pretty!

Arija said...

Do the flowers also have healing properties like the real elder? An infusion of crushed elderflowers has not only soothing effects on rashes, but when sponged on allergic weals clears them up in a day or two.

Míriam Luiza said...

Não conhecia esta planta! Suas florzinhas parecem de erva-doce que temos por aqui!Mas gostei das informações e das fotos!