My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Monday

Veggies from the Botanical Garden of Uppsala

I just wanted to show you som more pictures a took on my visit to the 'Harvest exhibition' at the Botanical Garden of the University of Uppsala. Lovely veggies!

Solanum tuberosum. The potatoes, they are the world's most widely grown tuber crop, and the fourth largest food crop in terms of fresh produce, that is after rice, wheat, and maize. I grew french 'Almond' this year and they are delicious especially new potatoes carefully boiled and with a little butter added when served. Dill of course.

Krusbärsgurka in Swedish, that could be Gooseberry Gherkin or something similar in English. I have not tried to grow them yet, but last year I grew Mexican Sour Gherkin and they are so nice, pretty and easy to grow. I can certainly recommend them.

Är det någon som vet var jag kan få tag i frö till Krusbärsgurkan?

Here we have a selection of different cucumbers and gherkins, all different shapes and colours.

Last but not least a favorite of mine, the Artichoke. Try this recipe. Easy and flavorsome side dish especially nice with food from the middle east.

  • Boil the Artichoke in salted water (salt as the Mediterranean)
  • When ready pour out the water
  • Mix juice from one lemon, garlic and olive oil to a dressing
  • Pour the dressing over artichoke (you could add some salted butter as well)
  • Let it get cool

This dish can be served cold, lukewarm or warm.

What is the name of your favorite potato? Idaho? King Edward?......

Kommunicera- mera som vi säjer på svenska/ TYRA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vilka härliga bilder på grönsaker! Den där Krusbärsgurkan var ju för rolig, väligt dekorativ! Tänk att grönsaker kan vara så vackra... Jag skulle verkligen behöva laga mer grönsaksrätter men på vardagarna räcker inte riktigt tiden till... i ett annat liv :) Ha det gott 8`)

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It's nice to see so many varieties of vegetables. I grew the Red Duke of York and the purple french rattes potatoes this year and liked both of them.

Anonymous said...

Vilka härliga bilder men en del nya grönsaker! Krusbärsgurka t.ex. kände jag inte till. :) Jag är mycket förtjust i olika rotfrukter men just potatis har jag ingen speciell favorit. Ha en fin onsdag!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Dear Tyra.....

Thank you for your recent comment, I’m pleased that you enjoy the pictures of of our local countryside.

Now these are very lovely vegetables you are showing from the Botanical Garden. I was particularly interested to read about the potatoes you have grown this year, I have not heard of French Almond, but I have made a note of it and will endeavour to track it down for next year’s planting.

This year I grew Desiree and Jersey Royals - a salad potato, both were prolific in growth and gave a good yield, they cook very quickly, but I’m disappointed that they tend to boil out of their skins.

How is the weather with you? We have had our first snow, not down in the village, but on the surrounding mountains. However, today is dull, dark and damp, a day for staying indoors! Marion

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Kronärtsocka är vacker i blomsterlandet, kul med alla vackra grönsaker.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous veggie photos, Tyra! Thanks for visiting--I added your blog to my list of them. And my favourite potato? I have two: Yukon Gold, a gold-fleshed potato, excellent for mashing or baking, and Tancook Long Blue, a true-blue potato from a tiny island off the coast of Nova Scotia. Perfect with smoked fish, but a bit funny coloured when cooked.

Emilie H-Lindhe said...

Good evening mum! I was surprised to hear that potato came before cassava on the list - Africa's main staple crop. But nothing beats the spud I think when it comes to taste and the variety of ways to cook it... mmm, goats cheese mash! Have a great weekend!

kathy said...

I grew yellow, red and blue potatoes this year and all were wonderful. They went straight from the earth to the grill to the dinner plate. I can't say which were best. I love your photographs!