My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Tuesday

Zinnia elegans in my potager.


Zinnia, oh Zinnia! a most wonderful flower, it sounds like a beautiful womens name,
but it´s actually named after a german (not very pretty) botanist!

Zinnia is a genus of 20 species of family Asteraceae. Originate from South America, but primarily Mexico. Zinnia was introduced to Europe in 1613. Carolus Linnaeus (Swedish guy) gave the flower it’s name. The name of the genus derives from the German botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn (1727-1759).
Zinnias notable for their solitary long-stemmed flowers, which I love. I prefer the tall ones, about 70 cm , they look great among my veggies.
The flowers have a wild range of appearances, from a single row of petals, to the double, dome shaped and they have such a variety of wonderful bright colors. From the colors off-whites, almost mint greyish green, yellow, lilac and purple.

Zinnia elegans together with Calendula officinalis L. (Linnaeus again) are the most popular flower in my potager, I always grown my Zinnias from seed, full sun, humus rich soil. Zinnias seem especially favored by butterflies , and many gardeners add zinnias specifically to attract them and so do I. I love butterflies. (Not the caterpillars from the Large white.)

Zinnia elegans Asteraceae. Härstammar från Syd America, främst då Mexico. Blommar under sommar och höst i alla regnbågens färger. Från vintervita, blekt grågröna, gula, lila, orange och cericefärgade. Finns i dvärgarter men jag odla oftast den höga c:a 70 cm, de passar så fint i min potager, dubbla eller enkla. Döpt efter en tysk botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn, jag har lite svårt att tänka på en Tysk botanist när jag ser mina fina Zinnior…Det var Carl von Linné som gav den sitt namn.

Tyras Trädgård. Dill, Koriander & Zinnia

Tyra

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zinnia är otroligt fin, såg så fina buketter i Frankrike.

an angel at my table said...

Vilket vackert växthus du har. Den är som en dröm. Tack för all inspiration.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Excellent idea, I haven't tried Zinnias before in my garden and not in my kitchen garden either. Calendula I sow every year or it selfseeds which is even better!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Tyra...
First I must thank you for the nice comment you recently left for me. I’m pleased to visit your garden and share the enjoyment of your flowers and what a lovely surprise to find that you have written in English too, even better! May I say how much I admire your wonderful greenhouse. Marion

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hannele.. wow tänk om man kunde odla så mycket att man kunde få ihop till buketter.
An angel... nu kan du följa arbetet i växthuset på The Greenhouse in Tyras Garden se länk!
Yolanda and Marion I´ve just added a blog. The Greenhouse in Tyras Garden (see under links) If you are interested you can follow the greenhouse through the different seasons.

Lindas trädgårdsblogg said...

Ursöta! Har missat att så zinnia!