My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Wednesday

Midsummer / Midsommar

Midsummer/Midsommar

During these few weeks around midsummer the Swedish night are very long. Here on this latitude the sun barely goes down and in the fare north of Sweden it doesn´t go down at all, amazing. The sun is up 24 hours a day!

A woke up extremely early this morning, the birds were singing and the sun stood already high in the sky. I just could not sleep. I put the kettle on and took my camera and went for a walk in my garden. Love me...love me not....love me...love me not...love me!
Morning dew on the Papaver

Dew on the grass, kicked of my shoes......oh such a nice feeling, to feel the moisture between the toes.
Traditional "Midsommardans" around the Maypole, why in earth it´s called Maypole I don´t know, not very logical. We celebrate midsummer because of the Summer Solstice and that is always around 20-21 of June.

Jag vill önska Er alla en riktigt trevlig Midsommar med små grodorna kanske....jordgubbstårta, sill och kryddat brännvin, grillat......etc. njut av den fagra svenska sommarnatten!

TYRA


5 comments:

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Tyra...
I’m sending good wishes to you for a wonderful Midsummer Day. Already you have started it well by taking a glorious walk in the dew laden grass. Wonderful!

I remember well whilst in Sweden, those glorious nights when it hardly got dark at all. Memorable times, you just want to embrace.

I was interested to read about your Maypole Dancing on this day. Here in Britain we celebrate the 1st of May (May Day) with Maypole dancing. People would dance around the Maypole to mark the end of winter and the hopeful start of good weather. Often this would take place on the village green. The highlight of this day would be the crowing of the May Queen who would be decked in garlands of spring flowers. Its a very old tradition. I guess this is why it takes its name after the month of May.
Best Wishes - Marion

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hallo Marion so nice to here from you! Thank you very much for the story about the Maypole, that explains the name!

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Härliga bilder,
ha en riktigt mysig midsommar.

Rurality said...

Very nice pictures! I would have a hard time sleeping if the sun were up 24 hours a day, I think. :)

And I'm wondering if the birds sing all night long then.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Happy Midsommar Tyra. A very special time of the year! We have long days too but not 24 hours. ;-) The sun comes up at 4.30 and goes down again at 10.30, so there still is night here and we can sleep. ;-)

Thanks for the lovely walk in your garden in the very, very early morning. It was magical! I enjoyed walking on the grass without my shoes on, so refreshing. :-D